Thursday, June 15, 2006

The Three Knights

  • The night was dark and still. Barbie’s “supplier” had just left after delivering her “recreational” provisions. As Barbie placed the small colorful scrap of paper on her tongue, she prepared to be whisked away to “Fairytopia”…

    Okay, I am kidding. Let’s start again.

    As the night wore on, Barbie found herself lying restlessly, her mind racing through silly trivial thoughts. She wanted so badly to turn it all off and go to sleep, but alas, it would not work. Finally she gave up and decided to go for a walk down the little forest trail that she had used since she was a small girl. Just outside the Castle gate, she picked up the path and began to wind through the trees toward the stream where she used to spend her days swimming and sunbathing. She remembered how simple life was then. No worries, no deadlines, just being a kid and having fun. She longed for those days again. Barbie found herself sitting next to the water looking at her reflection.

    In the morning, Ken woke up to find that his beloved Barbie was gone. He looked all around the Castle, and asked all of the staff that worked there, but no one had seen her. Ken began to worry. He called all of his knights together and told them to scour the surrounding land and find his love. Hour after hour crept by, but still no word. One knight went to the cave that was said to be home to a dragon of immense size. Cautiously he made his way inside quietly looking for the lost damsel. Another knight found himself staring at the bridge that no one was brave enough to cross for stories of the troll that kidnapped and tortured anyone who dare try to pass. Yet another knight found himself at the seashore where stories of monsters had originated. Each of the brave knights swallowed his fear and began the dangerous trek across his obstacle to find Ken’s wife who the entire kingdom adored. Any one of the knights would lay down his life to save Barbie.

    As the sun crept higher into the sky and the day neared the noon hour, Barbie awoke. She had crawled under a fallen tree and slept, finally, only to stir late in the day. After a moment, she realized that Ken would worry about her. She quickly began the trek home.

    Upon arrival at the Castle, Barbie ran into the three knights who returned at the same time from their adventures. She listened as each one told their story.

    “I was nervous about going into that cave, but I knew that Barbie might be in there, so I had to go. About five steps in I heard a great roar. It scared me to death. But I pressed on. Then, about thirty paces into the cave, I found a small pool of water. The melting snowcaps from the mountain feed that pool, and every few seconds, another rush of water causes a loud crashing wave in the pool. There is no dragon, just his roar!”

    “Well, I found myself at that troll bridge. People have reported actually seeing the troll and running away before it could catch them. I too had no choice but to overcome my fear and cross the bridge looking for Barbie. About halfway across the bridge, I saw the troll moving up the bank of the river below me. I drew my sword, and the troll stopped. I called out a warning, but the troll just stayed in the same place watching me. Finally I made my way to the troll, and found that it wasn’t a troll at all. It was just an old thorn bush that had a discarded cloak tangled up in it. It looked real enough, but I guess that is what happens when no one is brave enough to take a closer look.”

    “Well, I found myself at the coast of the great sea thinking about the monster that has terrorized the coast for years. There was no boat big enough to provide safety, but I had to go out anyway to look for Barbie. So I climbed into a small rowboat and began paddling into the open water. I was about a thousand yards off the coast when the water around me began to boil. My heart raced, and I drew my sword not knowing what I was about to encounter. The water became more violent with each passing moment. Just as I thought the boat would sink into the whirlpool that was being created, a school of dolphins surfaced and began swimming all around me. Back and forth, jumping over the bow of my boat. I couldn’t believe my eyes. With a school of dolphins that large, nothing dangerous could possibly reside in that part of the ocean. The stories of the hideous sea creatures must have been sailors who were frightened by the playful dolphins.”

    “I am sorry I caused you so much trouble,” Barbie said to the three knights, “but at least we finally know the secrets of our land, and can begin to feel safe with our surroundings. Next time, I will leave Ken a note so that he knows where to look for me.”

    The End

No comments: