Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Red Cross

"What the" Maxwell exhaled. His most prized possession was no more. He grated his teeth as he glared in the now cavernous container that once held the Royal Scepter with the Red Cross. He had risked his life for it, and not to turn it over to another admirer, but to keep it as his own. It might have brought him millions on the black market, but this was, excuse the pun, his crown jewel.

But who could have pulled this off? There was only one person in this world that knew Maxwell even had the scepter for sure. That was Mortimer Franks, but Maxwell couldn't imagine Mortimer having taken it. One key attribute you need as a career thief is the ability to read people. You have to know who to trust and who to bring into your inner circle.

Another thief. It had to be. But that would mean that Mortimer had leaked some information to someone. He had been visiting his local pub quite often lately. I wonder if he had become too drunk one evening and relinquished a few too many secrets. Maxwell would have to ask at dinner tonight.

"Maxwell, how are you?" Mortimer asked as he strutted across the grand dining room floor to clasp the hand of his most precious friend.

"Just fine, Mortimer. And yourself?" Maxwell responded as he intensely studied Mortimer for any sign of a weakness. Maxwell could tell if someone was being untruthful if they continuously looked down and to the left. Also, a bead of sweat might dissolve his cover.

"Fine, fine! I have some new information for you, on that diamond exhibition in New York next week. The India Blue will be on display there. And we already have bidders lined up for it. I say, this could be a big one. I have it on good word that the diamond is over 100 carets!" Mortimers eyes glistened with excitement.

"Oh yes, one more thing dear friend. I received the strangest call this afternoon. Someone named Julia. She said she needs to speak to you, an utmost urgency she said. I am afraid I do not recall anyone named Julia. A new acquaintance perhaps?" asked Mortimer.

A steel look eclipsed Maxwell's face. "Julia" he thought. He hasn't heard from her in years.

"Mortimer, how long have we known each other?" Maxwell asked.

"Going on ten years now, Sir."

"Have I ever told you about Julia?" asked Maxwell.

"No Sir."

Maxwell and Mortimer sat at the dinner table as Maxwell excused the wait staff.

"She's my daughter. You see, Mortimer, I was married when I was very young. I divorced my first wife when I decided to do what I now do on a more permanent basis. It's not the kind of thing you want to do while having a family, you know."

"Wait a minute," Maxwell thought. He probed his vast memory for any inkling of ever showing Julia where he stored his bounty. "Stop." Maxwell reprimanded himself. "Its your daughter. How can you think of such a thing?"

"Sir?" Mortimer queried his long time friend.

Maxwell snapped back into reality, "Oh yes, sorry. Anyway, her mother moved them to Paris. I haven't seen or heard anything from the two since Julia was twelve. Did she say what she wanted?"

"No sir, but she did seem somewhat frantic, despondent. I have her number written down on your desk pad in the study."

"I must speak to her now. I hope all is well." Maxwell said as he rose from his untouched meal and proceeded to the study.

"Hello?" The voice on the other line sounded weak and weary.

"Julia, it's Father. Is everything alright?" Maxwell responded.

"Yes, well, uhm. No, actually. Mother has passed. I'm sorry I did not call you sooner, but she has been dealing with cancer for the last six months. She had been diagnosed in September and it went badly for her. She died last night. I'm sorry I haven't called, but it was her wish that you did not know." July had begun to weep.

"Julia, darling. I'm very sorry. Please come to London and visit. Are you still receiving the payments I send?" Maxwell asked.

"Yes Father. We do so appreciate them. I'm sorry I haven't contacted you myself. I've been seeing a therapist and trying to work through my issues with you. But I thought you should now about Mother."

Maxwell could feel the lump in his throat rise. "Julia, please do come and stay with me. You can stay in your old room."

"Yes Father."

Two days later Maxwell was in London eating at an outside eatery with his female companion of two years, Beth Holland. Maxwell had Beth's background checked and doublechecked. She was a school teacher from West London and was every bit as innocent and sweet as she looked.

"More tea darling?" asked Maxwell.

"Yes dear." replied Beth as she bit off the end of another cookie. She was, as usual, buried in her books. She did not know of Maxwell's craft, as well she shouldn't. He learned his lesson the first go around.

Beth finally broke away from the novel her nose had become acquainted with to ask, "about this weekend dear, are you going to be able to make it to the Shires? Remember, they've invited us to their dinner party in the country?"

Maxwell hated being coy, but knew it was best. "Not this weekend dear. I've got an appointment with a new broker in New York. I must meet with him this weekend, otherwise he won't be available until the end of the summer.

Just then an erie feeling came over Maxwell. He knew who was standing over his shoulder by the shadow that his rather large fedora cast.

"Good day Mr. Galloway. And may I ask, who is your lovely friend?" Captain Vince Van Haught slyly asked.

"Good afternoon dear Captain. What a lovely surprise it is to see you. What can I assist you with today?" Maxwell skillfully avoided introducing Beth to the Captain. He always thought it would be better if the two had never met.

"Beth Holland"

"Ugh." Maxwell sighed under his breath.

"How very nice to meet you, madam" the Captain said as he reached to gently kiss the extended hand of Ms. Holland.

"How are things in the yard?" Maxwell asked, trying to regain control of the situation.

"Splendid, splendid indeed. In fact, I am taking an early retirement. Had a relative pass away recently, left me a great deal of money. Much more than the pension from the Yard, I must say."

"That is great news. I will miss your expertise however. We need brains like yours to keep my trade business safe from scallions." Maxwell said again trying to divert.

"Indeed. Indeed. Well, I must be off. Enjoy your tea. Good day madam." The Captain tipped that enormous hat of his as he walked off.

"Nice chap!" Beth said, again burying her nose in her book.

Later that night Maxwell was watching television in the den when news broke.

"This just in. Honored Captain in Scotland Yard has been arrested in possession of an article of the Crown Jewels stolen last summer. According to the Yard spokesperson, he was arrested while trying to sell the item on the black market, to undercover agents! He was caught with a woman thought to be his accomplice. "

Maxwell gasped. He stared at the television in disbelief. Then he screamed at the top of his lungs for his assistant, "Mortimer!"

"Yes Sir?" Mortimer managed to get out, short of breath from the dash to the den.

"Mortimer, do you see this?"

"What the bloody hell?" Mortimer murmured as he slowly made his way to the television.

"That conniving little. Sir, it's Beth!" Mortimer managed to finally get out, still having his eyes glued to the set, watching Beth get out of the car in hand cuffs.

"Mortimer, you'd better tell me what's going on."

"Sir, I am deeply sorry. Beth and I, well Sir, as so I thought, had developed a, well a friendship of sorts. She kept flirting with me, and well Sir, I must say that I enjoyed it."

"Mortimer, please tell me you didn't show her the false wall!" Maxwell said as his face turned bright red.

"Yes Sir, I actually did. But I laughed at her when last week she made a comment about how funny it would be if someone less obvious had stolen from you, one of the greatest thieves of all time."

"She knew?" Maxwell asked, a tear developing in his eyes.

"Yes Sir. I guess I was blind to it Sir. She and the Captain must have been in together on this the entire time."

Maxwell relaxed back into his chair. How bitter sweet it was. Beth, whom he loved but was considering breaking off his relationship with and the Captain, who had been on his heels for five years were now out of his life. For quite a long while. Pitty it all had to happen at the expense of his greatest prize ever captured, the Royal Specter with the Red Cross.

No comments: