Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Lamp

I don't remember where are when mom got it, but it seems to have always been around. Are at least one of some kind.

I've seen her use it in the kitchen on an evening when for whatever reason the power had gone out in the house.

I remember it setting on top of the shelves in the bathroom for a long time. Why? I don't know.

I even remember it moving from room to room as need would have it.
The Lamp!

It is unable to do anything of it's on accord...yet it carries with it beauty and comfort in times of need.

I think back to times when mom would carefully carry it into a room and set it down on the dresser or the chest of drawers. Then with care take the chimney off and place a match to the wick. The gentle light would flood the room. At least as much as a single oil burning lamp could fill a room with light.

The lamp now sits on the edge of my desk where it has been for more than a year. I don't really use it for the light that it provides now but rather for the fragrance that it puts out. I burn a vanilla based oil and it really does fill the room with that smell. It is also pretty to look at.

The lamp stands about sixteen inches tall and is made of a very fragile glass. It is a cobalt blue and the metal parts are of a finished brass.

Yes, it is an inanimate object and it can do nothing of its own accord but it has meaning for me.

No comments: